lunes, 17 de julio de 2017

Phantom problems with R7 1700 build - is motherboard to blame? pc building site custom pc builder

Been having some damn phantom problems with my R7 1700 build.

Just for background, I replaced my mobo, CPU, fans, and RAM. After using that couple days, one of my HDDs failed the SMART test so I replaced that too with a WD Blue drive.

So my build is:

R7 1700 (I've had it at various clocks, currently at 3.8Ghz. I retreated from 4Ghz because the required voltage exceeded AMD's recommended spec for long-term use.)

16GB DDR4 at 2933Mhz

GTX 970 at 1400Mhz

Asus X370 Prime

Samsung 840 EVO (C: 3 years old)

Seagate HDD (E: over 10 years old)

WD Blue HDD (F: brand new)

WD Passport External HDD (G: 3 years old)

Verbatim External HDD (H: 9 years old)

So far, everything has been mostly OK with this build (until yesterday). Obviously I had a few driver issues and compatibility problems and had to reinstall Windows a couple times to get everything in the proper place, as well as a few crashes while overclocking. However, for the past week or so I had everything running beautifully.

So, yesterday I fired up Doom 2016. I was going to make a benchmark video of it, so I also had OBS open. It started up using OpenGL, but I wanted to use Vulkan. (Bear in mind I had played this for about 3 hours already using Vulkan before I changed out my HDD and had to reinstall it). Doom is installed on F:, the new HDD.

After I switched to Vulkan in the options menu, the game required a restart. Shouldn't be a big deal, right? Nope, after I quit it simply wouldn't restart. So, I tried to verify the game files. This process hung. So, I uninstalled it and tried to download it again - but Steam hung.

After that, I wondered what was going on, so I tried to launch another game - Dragon Age Origins, which is also installed on F:. This didn't load in either, and in fact froze my entire system so I had to hard reset.

Next, I thought that maybe my Nvidia driver had accidentally gotten uninstalled, so I opened Geforce Experience to check - and no, I was still running the latest version of the Geforce drivers.

Next, I figured maybe I had an unstable overclock. I didn't think it was the CPU, because I've run the CPU at 4Ghz/100% load for hours before with any crashes or temperatures above about 72C. But I figured maybe it was the RAM. So I clocked the CPU back down to 3Ghz and took the RAM down to the stock 2133Mhz. Unfortunately, this did NOT solve the problem, which makes me think it wasn't an OC issue.

Then, I tried navigating to F: in File Explorer, but F:'s home directory wouldn't open. At this point, I was thinking that maybe I had just got a dud hard drive, so to eliminate the GPU or drivers as the source of the problem, I tried to play Assassin's Creed 4, which is installed on E:. This ran fine, suggesting that F: is the problem.

So, I turned off my PC, physically detached F:, and then tried to reboot. After the mobo splash screen I was greeted with an "Operating system not found." Uhhh fuck? I double-checked in the BIOS and yes, the SSD was first in the boot order.

The message suggested that I remove all drives other than the boot drive and restart. This worked. Then, I powered down again and reconnected all drives except F:, since I thought F: might be bad. This worked again, so I tried booting with F: connected, and it booted fine.

Next, I ran chkdsk on F: and it came back clean, and then Memtest86, which also found no errors. Then, I tried to launch DA:O again, and it still didn't launch. However, it claimed that it needed an update, so I let it install the update from Origin, then it launched and ran fine. However, Doom still didn't launch. I was curious to see how other games installed on F: would run, so I ran the benchmarks for Just Cause 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, which are both installed on F:. Both launched and ran without issues. Then, to double-check if the overclocks were the problem, I booted back into the BIOS and set my OCs back to 3.8Ghz and 2933Mhz.

With the OCs reinstated, I was able to launch those benchmarks again and they ran with no issues.

So, to double-check that my overclocks were really stable, I played DA:O while encoding a giant video file in Handbrake in the background, which let the CPU run at 100% load at 3.8Ghz for about 2 hours. This was totally stable and the CPU never got above 72C, as usual. Then I edited together a couple clips in Premiere and rendered a 20 minute 1080p/60fps h.264 video file while I was simultaneously playing Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer (also installed on F), so I was stressing both the GPU and CPU to 100% for about half an hour. Again, this was totally stable.

So most of my problems seem to be fixed, but Doom still doesn't launch. After trying to launch it directly from the exe file, I got a message "Missing Vulkan-1.dll." OK, so I need to install that somehow, that seems like a fixable problem.

But all these phantom problems that seem to involve my SATA devices have me worried that maybe my motherboard is dying. I feel like I've eliminated F: as the problem since I can run intensive programs on it (like ME:A) without any performance issues or loading problems. I also feel like I've eliminated the CPU or RAM overclocks as the underlying cause of the issue, since the problem persisted at the stock clocks.

So all I can figure is that my motherboard itself is causing the problem. I really don't want that to be the case because I don't want to have to go through the hassle of returning it and installing a new motherboard again.

Does this seem like an accurate diagnosis?

EDIT: I have all the proper motherboard drivers installed

EDIT 2: The RAM I purchased is in the QVL for this mobo.

EDIT 3: This is a fresh, legitimate install of Windows 10, latest version.

submitted by /u/Kahless1987
[link] [comments]

from /r/buildapc - Planning on building a computer but need some advice? This is the place to ask! https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/6ntxnr/phantom_problems_with_r7_1700_build_is/
via IFTTT
build your own computer

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario